GM Holden today marked the diamond anniversary of the first all Australian-made car by unveiling a stunning two-door pillarless performance thoroughbred called Coupe 60.
Coupe 60 celebrates the six decades since GM Holden built the 48-215 at its Fishermans Bend plant in Port Melbourne, Victoria, and provides a glimpse of Holden’s future directions in design, engineering and emerging engine technologies.
Exemplifying sports luxury, Coupe 60 is a concept car that explores the limits of Holden’s current rear-wheel drive capabilities, combining racing looks and technology into a road going sports experience.
Its sophisticated appearance is delivered through simple and powerful design, highlighted by a pillarless construction and V8 supercar inspired cockpit layout and side-exiting chambered exhaust system with billet alloy tips.
At 57mm shorter in length than its sedan equivalent, and sitting on 21-inch centre-lock alloy wheels with unique design Kumho high performance semi-slick tyres, this vehicle captures all that’s exciting about the Holden DNA.
Other racing-derived enhancements include full flat under body, rear underbody air diffuser and functional rear deck-lid spoiler with unique designed LED tail lamps.
The interior also has a number of unique features including one piece carbon fiber bucket seats featuring leather and suede pad design and a sports-inspired flat bottomed steering wheel with integrated shift light display and LCD sports instrument cluster.
The high gloss carbon fiber carries through to doors and rear trim providing a contrast to the leather trimmed instrument panel and black suede trimmed pillars, headliners and parcel shelf.
Details and accents are picked out with a distinctive red high shine leather on the seats and dark gunmental finish and satin chrome on the consoles and doors.
Front seats are adjustable fore and aft to allow easy access to the rear, with four-point race harness restraints for all seating positions.
Under the bonnet is just as forward looking, with a 6.0 litre V8 incorporating the latest technologies such as active fuel management and calibrated for E85 ethanol fuel.
Even the paint is a one-off giving a liquid aluminium finish is a colour dubbed ‘diamond silver’ by Holden designers.
GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director Mark Reuss said, “Coupe 60 is the design department’s 60th anniversary gift to Holden fans and Australian motoring enthusiasts in general.
“It highlights Holden’s heritage of rear wheel drive performance whilst looking ahead to the potential offered by new technologies and materials.
“This is a vehicle I know our designers would dearly love to see go into production, but for the moment it has to remain a concept only,” he said.
Designer Manager on the project, Peter Hughes, said, “We were looking to mark the 60th anniversary with a car that captured the Holden DNA and took the current VE range to an exciting next step.
“Even in the early stages of VE development, we knew there was a sensational coupe waiting to get out and the 60th anniversary has given us the chance to explore that.
“With Coupe 60 we think we have designed a car that has the potential to write another chapter in the book of Holden icons.”
Coupe 60 — Specifications and Features
- Pillar-less coupe body
- Derived from flexible GRWD platform
- VE sedan wheelbase
- 6.0L V8 with Active Fuel Management, calibrated for E85 Ethanol fuel
- 6-speed manual transmission (SS specification)
- Peak Power: 275 kW @ 5,700 rpm*
- Peak Torque: 540 Nm @ 4,400 rpm*
- Engine oil cooler
(* estimates by GM Holden Powertrain based on 98 RON fuel)
- Unique ”Diamond Silver” paint colour
- Electrically dropping front & rear side windows
- Racing-derived aerodynamic down-force enhancements:
- Rear under-body air diffuser
- Full flat under body
- Functional rear deck-lid spoiler
- 21” centre-lock alloy wheels
- Unique design Kumho high-performance semi-slick tyres
- High-performance Brembo brake hardware with ducted air cooling for front callipers
- Side-exiting chambered exhaust system with billet alloy tips
- Unique design LED tail lamps
- Exterior mirrors with integral LED side markers
- V8-Supercar inspired cockpit layout for enhanced driver visibility and spaciousness;
- LCD sports instrument cluster located in a unique column-mounted binnacle;
- One-piece carbon fiber bucket seats, featuring unique suede-pad design and distinctive red high shine leather accents;
- Front Seats are adjustable fore-aft and allow easy access to rear;
- Four-point race harness restraints for all seating positions;
- Unique sports-inspired flat-bottom steering wheel with integrated shift light display and suede grips;
- Unique interior details including air vents, column switches, gear shift knob and pedals.
- Perforated leather trimmed instrument panel, Black suede trimmed pillars, headliner and parcel shelf;
- High gloss carbon fiber used as a structural material for seats, doors and rear trim provides contrast to leather and suede trim;
- Details and accents are picked out with red high shine leather, a dark Gunmetal finish and satin chrome.